Image d'introduction
Date de publication
Texte d'introduction

The soap opera has ended and now we’re in for the spin-off. The EU and the UK have finally reached a post-Brexit Trade and Cooperation Agreement, and with it come some changes that will need to be taken into consideration by UK nationals living, working, studying, or visiting France. The good news is that, in terms of social security, things will remain largely the same. British citizens and their family members who were residing in France before December 31, 2020, retain their acquired rights as European citizens; however, they’ll still need to apply for a Withdrawal Agreement residence permit and be required to hold one by 1 October, 2021.

Corps de l'article

Healthcare cover post-Brexit: key changes

The provisions of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, which apply from 1 January 2021, are similar to existing provisions in EU regulations on coordination of healthcare

British Citizens Living in France and Covered by the UK Health Insurance System

Under the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement and if your situation remains the same, your health insurance coverage and the conditions under which you are insured will not change. You will continue to receive benefits as you do now.
Moreover, and still under the Agreement, you continue to benefit from certain EU rules on coordination of social security systems : that provide that if you are receiving a pension from one State and reside in the territory of another State, your health insurance will be covered by the State that pays your pension.

This means that your healthcare costs in France will continue to be covered by the French social security system on behalf of the United Kingdom.
If you also start to receive a French pension, and you continue to live in France, the coordination rules provide that the French system will directly cover your health insurance.

Are S1 Forms Still Valid after Brexit?

An S1 form provides access to free healthcare for eligible British citizens and their dependents living in the EU, EEA and Switzerland. Those who have worked and paid contributions in the UK, or receive some UK benefits such as pensions, may currently be eligible for the certificate.
If you have not already done so, you must request an S1 form “Registering for Healthcare Cover” from your British pension fund.

This document will allow you to register with the French health insurance fund in your place of residence (CPAM office). The form will be valid for your entire period of residency in France and will provide you with coverage under the same conditions as a person insured under the French social security system. You’ll still have to pay part of your medical costs, just like other French residents.

♦ Find out more on Withdrawal Agreement residence permit

Claiming unemployment benefits post-Brexit

Jobseekers receiving unemployment benefits from the UK in consideration of the last job held in the UK and who move to France are covered by UK social security legislation. Any contributions due on their unemployment benefits are paid to the UK.
Jobseekers not receiving benefits from the UK and living in France (case of frontier workers and, in certain cases, individuals who lived during their last job in a Member State different from the relevant Member State) receive unemployment benefits in France. Tax and social security contributions on these unemployment benefits are due in France.

Changes to pensions and taxable income after Brexit

You can carry on receiving your UK State Pension if you move to the EU, EEA or Switzerland and you can still claim your UK State Pension from these countries. Your UK State Pension will be increased each year in the EU in line with the rate paid in the UK.
You can also count relevant social security contributions made in EU countries to meet the qualifying conditions for a UK State Pension.
Personal taxation should not be affected by Brexit. The UK has tax treaties with all individual EU countries aimed at preventing double taxation of citizens.

APRIL International: Health Insurance for British Expats in France

If you are a UK expat preparing for your life in France post-Brexit, it’s important to have comprehensive health insurance. Find out more about the plans we offer, and which one could be right for your circumstances.

Titre articles poussés
All the advice and information you need to live in France!