Image d'introduction
Accommodation during your Working-Holiday Programme in New Zealand
Date de publication
Texte d'introduction

It is not common for a WHP in New Zealand to limit themselves to a single destination. Most of the time, your accommodation will be tailored to your travels. Because New Zealand is not necessarily cheap, you'll also need to watch your spending so you don't have to cut your trip short, without spending all your nights camping or in the back of a van. Here are some tips to help you do that.

Corps de l'article

Renting or sharing in New Zealand, what you need to know

While renting a flat is an option, it is not always cheap. On average, you should expect to pay NZD 350/week (€220) for a one-bedroom apartment in Auckland or in the capital Wellington. That's why many PVTers turn to flat sharing, which depending on the location, can cost half as much!

Whether you choose to live in a flat or share a flat in New Zealand, the procedures are the same. You will need 

  • An identity document
  • A bank account in New Zealand
  • Pay a deposit, the Bond, equivalent to 2 or 4 weeks rent
  • Advance two weeks rent ('rent in advance')
  • And possibly pay the letting fee

To find your flat share, go to Trade Me or Post a note, the two main New Zealand classified ad sites. Choose furnished accommodation with a periodic term, a temporary lease of 6 months with 3 weeks notice.

Staying in a backpacker or working hostel

In New Zealand, the term 'backpacker' refers to youth hostels. For those on a budget, you may prefer a dormitory bed to a private room. You should find offers between NZD 90 and 180 (€55 and €120) per week depending on your destination. BBH and YHA are two hostel chains offering accommodation throughout the country.

Another option is the Working Hostel, a hostel that puts you in touch with recruiters in the area. In exchange, you agree to stay with them for the duration of your work contract.

Being accommodated at work: HelpX, WWOOFing and Work for accommodation

It's simple: work on a farm, do some gardening, or do some DIY work in exchange for accommodation with a local person. Food and lodging are offered, but you will not be paid for the hours you work. 

You can also do this in a youth hostel. It is not uncommon for hostels to need a helping hand with both reception and maintenance. So you will be given free accommodation in exchange for a few hours of your time. 

And for the more adventurous, there is of course the option of bivouacking in a tent or a van. This is a cheap solution for a road trip, but not very viable in the long term.

Your New Zealand WHP in your pocket with APRIL International

But first you need to get your visa! As with Canada, New Zealand requires each traveller to take out health, repatriation and hospitalisation insurance. APRIL International provides WHP insurance that is 100% compliant with the requirements of the Kiwi authorities!

Titre articles poussés
En savoir plus sur : Programme Vacances-Travail