Image d'introduction
Texte d'introduction

Are you a student looking to gain valuable work experience in Canada? The International Co-op category of the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative allows students of many countries to complete an internship in Canada. Land an internship related to your field of study and stay in Canada for up to a year! 

Corps de l'article

Travelling under the International Co-op category: who is eligible?

To be eligible to take part in the IEC International Co-op category, you must:

  • be aged between 18 and 35 (30 for citizens of some countries),
  • be a citizen of a country which has signed an IEC agreement with Canada,
  • not have participated in the International Co-op category before (or in any IEC category, depending on the country you are from),
  • be registered as student in your country,
  • have an offer or contract for an internship in Canada,
  • have sufficient funds to cover your expenses at the beginning of your stay in Canada,
  • have health and repatriation insurance which is valid for the duration of the stay.

Applying for the International Co-op category

Canada sets up annual quotas for each country taking part in the Experience Canada programme. For instance, in 2013, the quota for the International Co-op category allotted to German citizens was of 400 against 10 for Austrian nationals. Each IEC category also has its own specific quota.
Application processes may vary depending on the country.

1. Complete the IEC application and declaration form online or print it out. Depending on the country you are from, you might need to download an application kit or apply through a Kompass account instead.
2. Gather the requested documents: copy of the identification pages of your passport, 2 passport-sized photos, proof of registration in a post-secondary institution in your country, proof of sufficient funds, payment of the participation fee, copy of your signed letter of offer or contract for an internship position in Canada, up-to-date resume.
3. Send your application package to the Canadian embassy in your country.
4. Wait for reception of your IEC Conditional Acceptance Letter.
5. Complete the work permit assessment using your MyCIC account or the application form, depending on what country you are from.
6. If your application is accepted, you will receive a Letter of Introduction.

    To find out more about the IEC International Co-op category

    To find out if your country has signed a bilateral reciprocal agreement allowing you to land an internship in Canada, visit the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website.

    Titre articles poussés
    Know more about : Working Holiday Programme